OPEN TO THE PUBLIC - FOOD SCIENTIST
Employment Opportunity - Food Scientist
BioFoodTech, 101 Belvedere Ave, Charlottetown
Full-Time Temporary for One Year (Commencing Immediately)
The purpose of this position is to support industry research to develop innovative, high quality products from idea to commercial production. This includes multiple technical considerations involving food chemistry, microbiology and physics, along with regulatory, quality and food safety requirements. This position reports to the Food & Bioscience Technology Manager at BioFoodTech (BFT).
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Determining requirements for product formulation and processing using knowledge of ingredients, bench scale prototyping, processing technologies, process scale-up, sensory evaluation, packaging technology, shelf-life evaluation, food analytical methods, regulations and licensing, shelf-life determinations and food safety;
- Meeting with clients to determine project objectives and establishing appropriate workplans, including design, methods and strategy;
- Preparing project proposals and cost estimates for clients, and submitting proposals to funding agencies;
- Managing projects, and guiding project teams to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Discussing product/process troubleshooting and proposing technical approaches and solutions;
- Following BioFoodTech’s ISO 9001 protocols and standard operating procedures;
- Monitoring project resources and expenditures, tracking time on projects, and preparing monthly reports;
- Supporting the accounting officer in the preparation of project invoices;
- Coordinate and oversee obtaining all resources and materials needed for tests, including ingredients (from client or purchased), along with packaging, and functional ingredients.
- Maintain accurate and complete files with all relevant project information including experimental work, results, client communications, funding information, product/ingredient/supplier/packaging information.
- Support other Food Scientists and Project staff, including being involved in peer reviews of Project Contracts/Proposals/Reports, training staff on equipment or analysis, and assisting other project teams as needed.
- Participate in team meetings with food group and other Project Leaders to discuss process, improvements, challenges and needs.
- Maintaining excellent communications and relationships with clients; keeping them informed of project status and writing interim/final reports as required.
- Providing advice to businesses with technical aspects of business plan development such as material procurement, equipment purchase, processing line set up, and quality control of processing/production;
- Supporting BFT’s marketing and promotional activities by attending networking events (conferences, tradeshows, etc.)
- Participating with teams and providing input to support the improvement of BFT’s infrastructure and operational activities;
- Carrying out other duties and responsibilities as required.
- MSc degree in Food Science;
- Considerable experience working on food industry projects;
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered;
- Experience in client consultation, needs identification, solutions conceptualization, and project management
- Experience in product/process development, sensory analysis, start-ups, food safety issues, preventive control plans, HACCP, and familiarity with food safety/ quality management systems typical of the food processing industry;
- Ability to operate as a technical professional and conduct industry-driven projects involving product and process development and troubleshooting;
- Strong project management skills and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and provide tangible solutions to industrial clients operating in the agri-food and seafood processing community at local, regional, and international levels;
- Ability to provide technical training sessions to industry on various topics in support of food processing;
- Familiarity with basic business operation in the food industry;
- Self-motivated and directed;
- Ability to provide day to day guidance to supporting technicians and technologists;
- Computer proficiency;
- Fluency in basic statistical techniques used in food science, their application and interpretation of compiled results after analysis.
Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: $34.82 - $43.52 – Level 19 BFT Pay Plan
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Posting ID: 2021-03 BFT
Closing Date: Monday, November 8, 2021 @ 5:00pm
If interested, please submit a resume to:
Margo Thistle, HR Officer
c/o Department of Economic Growth, Tourism & Culture
PO Box 2000, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8